Created by the War Department in 1941 through the efforts of then Senator Alben Barkley, The Paducah-McCracken county airport was a military surplus airport that was utilized to facilitate B-17 Bomber crew training that was based in Dyersburg TN. After the war, the airport was deeded to the city and county making it available for commercial use. On April 1, 1946 the first commercial airliner a Chicago and Southern DC-3, departed the airport.
this was the start of what has been 75 consecutive years of commerical airline service from Paducah that has served our region. In 1949, the airport was renamed Barkley Field in honor of now Vice President Barkley’s efforts in the airport’s creation.
Please enjoy these photos from the first 80 years of our history.